About Me

Ireland
Daily tennis betting blog for Masters 1000 and Grand Slam tournaments only... Follow on Twitter every day for in-running selections in ALL tournaments: @Tennis_Backer

Sunday 9 June 2013

Roland Garros Men's Final

On Saturday Serena took out Sharapova en route to her 16th slam title. She has been so impressive all week, and it was another good showing yesterday. In fairness to Sharapova, she put in a good shift yesterday and actually covered the handicap +4.5 and 5.5 games. She didn't quite take the set I was hoping for despite being up a break in the first.

Looking at the men's final today between Rafa and Ferrer, let me just say how delighted I am to see Ferrer in a grand slam final, particularly the French Open. We did offer him as good outright value at the start of the tournament, but even now you would still have to offer 8.00 to trade him on the exchanges. In a way, the money has been made at this stage and there is little to bet on today. I can see only a Nadal victory, despite Ferrer's excellent showings against him on clay in the past month. Ferrer will probably cover the +7.5 handicap but sometimes he tends to throw in one terrible set against Nadal so I won't be backing that. I do think, however, that there is some value to be had in the set betting market. I fancy Ferrer to take one set anyway and so you can lay Rafa 3-0 @ 1.90 meaning you win the bet with any of the five other possible scorelines that don't read 3-0 Nadal.

I hope Ferrer puts in a good day at the office today. He is getting just rewards for his game and his improvement over the past few years. I would dearly love to see him win today but I don't think it can happen. Hopefully he gets a set or two anyway and we have a competitive final. Thanks for reading. Roll on the grass season! Over and out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment