About Me

Ireland
Daily tennis betting blog for Masters 1000 and Grand Slam tournaments only... Follow on Twitter every day for in-running selections in ALL tournaments: @Tennis_Backer

Friday 31 May 2013

Roland Garros Saturday Week 1

Viktor Troicki proved a great pick on Friday at Roland Garros with a straight set win over Marin Cilic @ odds of  7/2 on Betfair. To be honest, it was the only highlight of the day, because, despite a great showing, Benneteau failed to get a set against Federer on Chatrier, while Seppi went down pretty easily against Almagro.

I am pretty excited about tomorrow's matches, as the tournament gets down to the business stages! There are several matches I am interested in having a bet on, and several more where I will be merely spectating. It was interesting to see Rafa blow the tournament organisers out of the water today by calling the match scheduling at this tournament "a joke". Nadal's beef seems to be at the fact that Fabio Fognini will have the benefit of 24 hours more rest than he will before they meet tomorrow. Nadal was rained off yesterday and never took to the court against Klizan, while Fabulous Fabio completed his rout of Lukas Rosol before the rains came. To be honest, I think Nadal is blowing a lot of hot air here - it rained and there is no roof. Simple as that! Federer said pretty much the same when asked about Rafa's comments today, and argued that more than 50% of players didn't play as scheduled yesterday.

Anyway, looking at tomorrow's tennis in the French capital, there are three matches where I will be recommending an match winner bet:

Paire v Nishikori: this is quite the match up and probably the match I am most looking forward to tomorrow. Both have had some excellent highlights in their respective clay court seasons over the past few months, particularly Madrid and the win over Federer for Kei, and Rome for Benoit. To be honest, I think Paire is still at an earlier stage in his development than Kei is and for that reason, among others, I will be going for Nishikori tomorrow. I do think the match will be close, but Kei is available @ 2.20 on Betfair and I will be going for that. In terms of baseline battles, I think Kei shades it just because he is so solid off both wings while Paire is very reliant on the backhand. In my opinion, if Nishikori plays his best tennis, or close to it, then he wins this match. I trust he will, and I recommend him @ 2.20 to progress.

Isner v Haas: John Isner came through a tough 5 setter today against Ryan Harrison, and, while it might be tough for him from a physical point of view, I think it demonstrates his desire and will to win. He rallied from two sets down, and I think he is overpriced against Tommy Haas tomorrow. I am not saying for sure he will beat the veteran German, but I think Haas has played better tennis this season than he is right now and I think Isner often plays his best stuff around Roland Garros. Isner leads the head to head 3-2 and I think he will prove a handful again for Haas tomorrow. Take Isner @ 3.60 on Betfair and trade it off if he gets up a set or two. In a neutral rally, Tommy Haas is the more complete player but it is up to Isner to serve big and bully his opponent when he has the chance.

Youzhny v Tipsarevic: I have been impressed by Mikhail Youzhny this clay court season and I am going to tip him to progress tomorrow in a match where he begins as a marginal favourite @ 1.85. He shares a 3-3 head to head record with Tipsarevic but the Serb has been in poor form this season and had a marathon five setter with Fernando Verdasco today. Youzhny took out Federico Delbonis and he is a proper clay courter in his own right. This is one I am looking forward to as I love Youzhny's game. Take him to come through @ 1.85 on Betfair.

Other match winners in my book tomorrow will be: Nadal, Djokovic, Gasquet, Kohlschreiber, and Wawrinka.

Just a quick note on the Djokovic - Dimitrov match: that will be an absolute must see. The Bulgarian will take a set or maybe even two as his game matches up very well with Novak but I would be very surprised if Dimitrov has the physical capability to come through this one. Keep an eye on it though - it is the tie of the round and could well be the match of the tournament. Djokovic in 5!

Until tomorrow, over and out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment