About Me

Ireland
Daily tennis betting blog for Masters 1000 and Grand Slam tournaments only... Follow on Twitter every day for in-running selections in ALL tournaments: @Tennis_Backer

Wednesday 24 April 2013

Barcelona & Bucharest Thursday Preview & Selections



Benoit Paire was a source of joy for us today as he brought in a much appreciated win against Pablo Andujar in Barcelona. The reason we tipped Paire for this match was mainly due to the fact that Andujar has the mental strength of, well, someone like Fernando Verdasco! How he has won two career titles I'll never know. Anyway, I saw the scoreboard when Andujar was 4-0 up in the first set and then the next time I saw it, Paire was leading 6-4 5-4 - unbelievable stuff...... got a good laugh out of that! Elsewhere today, Klizan was too good for Montanes but if I had to have one winner today of the two recommendations it would have been Paire so I won't complain. I also backed Gilles Simon before his match against Nieminen which turned out well, but, unfortunately I also ventured into the Monfils - Brands encounter in favour of the Frenchman and that turned out to be costly when he retired injured 2-0 down in the second set. All in all it was a pretty good day, not tipping Robredo was a regret given the fact that these are his home courts and Dimitrov was probably tired from his MC run, but it wasn't a bad day all in all.

Tomorrow is one of those days where I really fancy about five different bets! Some days you get no matches that stand out and then others, like tomorrow, there are matches jumping out at me from all angles! Here are the ones I fancy:

Tursunov v Bellucci (Barcelona) : I like Bellucci in this one, He is available at about 1.94 and that is a great bet. Bellucci is much more comfortable on this surface than the aggressive but sometimes wild Tursunov. I think there is a lot of stock being put into the fact that Dimitry took out Ferrer today. It was quite obvious that Ferrer was sub par. If he was on form, that would have been a routine, straight set rout of the Russian. As it stands, Bellucci will fancy his chances and I do too. Take Bellucci to win this one @ 1.94 (probably in three sets)

Klizan v Kohlschreiber (Barcelona) : I probably underestimated Klizan a little today. He is more adept on this surface than I gave him credit for and certainly moves better than Kohlschreiber on it. In my opinion Kohly is suited way more towards grass and he can be found wanting on the red stuff. If Klizan can beat Montanes in straights on clay in Spain, he can beat Kohlschreiber too. Take Klizan @ 2.36

Raonic v Gulbis (Barcelona) : Probably unsurprisingly for some of the regular readers, this is where my main recommendation lies for tomorrow. Ernests Gulbis has played Milos Raonic twice in the past. Ernests Gulbis has lost to Milos Raonic twice in the past. The good thing about those matches for Ernests Gulbis is that they were in the past. My man is a completely different player now than he was back then. Apart from the obvious technique change on the forehand wing, the main reason for Gulbis' improvement has been his change of attitude. He has desire these days which is what he always lacked. He knows he is a better tennis player than Milos Raonic. Even though Raonic beat Gulbis in their sole clay meeting to date, I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Gulbis will beat him tomorrow. He moves a million times better than Raonic, he is more solid from the back of the court, and he has been in unbelievable form all year. Raonic's main weapon as we all know is his serve. This surface takes away that advantage and gives Gulbis a chance to get into every point. Once this match goes to a neutral rally, Gulbis is the man. Somehow, he is available @ 2.30 on Betfair to get the better of Milos The Missile, and that is a no-brainer in my book. I will be into Gulbis for a maximum stake (possibly to the detriment of some of my other recommendations for tomorrow!) Take Gulbis to progress in this one. I have a feeling he will do it in straights. (PS take a look at this now infamous clip of the last time these two met on clay!)

Robredo v Berdych (Barcelona) : Robredo is worth a small bet here. He seems to be back to the form of yesteryear and these are his home courts. He loves it around here and hammered Grigor Dimitrov today. Berdych is apparently nursing a slight shoulder injury and I would recommend backing Robredo for a small stake @ 3.30 on the exchanges.

Goffin v Mayer (Bucharest) : Florian Mayer is a strong favourite for this match in my book but is available @ 1.82 on Betfair. I think he will have too much in terms of experience for the sometimes shaky but talented young Belgian. Mayer hammered him in their only other meeting earlier this year, and although it's nothing to go by given Goffin's run of form at that time, it might just plant a negative seed in the young lad's mind! Take Mayer, the proven clay courter @ 1.82.

Just to emphasise, the main recommedation for tomorrow is Gulbis, with smaller stakes on each of the others outlined above. Enjoy the tennis and hopefully we will have a good day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment