About Me

Ireland
Daily tennis betting blog for Masters 1000 and Grand Slam tournaments only... Follow on Twitter every day for in-running selections in ALL tournaments: @Tennis_Backer

Saturday 26 January 2013

Australian Open 2013 Men's final Murray v Djokovic



And so we have finally reached the climax of the 2013 Australian Open with the clash of the two main forces in men's tennis, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray. I suggested on this blog in my tournament preview that this would be the final and that these two players have separated themselves from the rest of the field and so it has come to pass. Murray and Djokovic have both looked fantastic, and both have seen off some tough moments on the way to the final. Djokovic, in particular, had a very narrow escape from his 5 setter with Stan Wawrinka in which he was very close to elimination. Murray was forced to five against Federer but never looked like losing and it was almost inevitable that he would progress at the Swiss' expense.

Tomorrow's match is a very exciting prospect and one which is very hard to call. I don't believe either man fears the other but there is a massive mutual respect. Both players are so solid in all aspects and I have put some thought into who wins each aspect of the game. I think Murray comes out on top in first serve, and just about in the backhand and volleying departments. I think Djokovic edges it on the second serve and on the forehand, while I would rate their return of serve and their fitness/strength levels as pretty much equal. They both move incredibly well but if it comes down to who has more self-belief and confidence, I reckon the Serb slightly edges it there. Having said all that, I won't be surprised whichever man prevails. The bookmakers are going for Djokovic and probably rightly so but Murray has won their last slam encounter (US Open Final) and, in Ivan Lendl, he has someone in his corner who can push him over the winning line and help him remain calm in the most important moments.

I tipped Murray at 4.70 before this tournament began and I prefer him to Djokovic as a person and as a player. The Scot is my favourite player and I am giving him a genuine shot at the title here. The first set will be so important for him and I hope he can take it. Djokovic can be a very dangerous front runner if he gets a lead and so I hope Murray can be aggressive from the very first ball. He needs to serve well and to come to the net when the opportunity arises, which is something he needs to do more of in my opinion, particularly against Djokovic. I am going to take Murray in the betting stakes at 2.76 in what is a pretty even match. I also think this is going to go the whole five sets and so will take Murray to win 3-2 at 7.40 as well. Enjoy the final and C'mon Andy!

Recommended bets:

Andy Murray to beat Novak Djokovic 3pts @ 2.78
Andy Murray to beat Novak Djokovic 3-2 2pts @ 7.40

No comments:

Post a Comment